Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Goodbyes :(

I am sorry it has been so long since my last update. I have sat down with my computer several times in the last week getting ready to blog, but I seriously just didn't know what to write. I don't know how to summarize what I have been feeling/experiencing/learning during my time at RivLife.  It has been an emotional whirlwind and it is a lot to absorb in only a couple of weeks. I am still trying to comprehend everything myself. Today was our last day of service sites and leaving was a lot harder than I could have ever imagined. Almost our whole team was in tears as we were giving our last hugs and goodbyes to the kids we have had the blessed opportunity to hang out with and love on. I didn't realize how much of my heart these kids had a hold of until today.  They are all so special to me, more than I can ever explain.  One of the sweetest moments today was with a kid who had been really violent in the beginning, but has slowly opened up and become more loving and gentle. He gave me a huge hug and said, "I will always remember you. I will always love you." That didn't make it any easier to leave! Goodbyes are so hard. All I have left is the comfort that God is holding every one of those kids in his sovereign hands and also the amazing memories I have with them. And those will never leave me. 


Just to catch up on last week, on Tuesday me and my friend Michelle (who also wants to be an Occupational Therapist) got to visit the Disabled Center that is located on RivLife's grounds. They were all adults and most of them had cerebral palsy, polio, handicaps from injuries, and other things.  We just got to sit down and talk with them and learn about their stories. Disabled people in South Africa, as in most third world countries, are looked down upon and not given any help or support. Most of the men there were single and all they wanted was a wife who loves them for who they were, but it is kind of a lost cause.  Still, one of the guys that I talked to the most was telling me he doesn't let his disability (polio) get in the way of anything he does. He even taught me some ballroom dances! Working with these people made me so pumped up for my career path and motivates me to get through all of those terrible science classes! 


We went to the HIV/AIDS support group again on Tues/Thurs and made jewelry with them.  We also had the opportunity to go to the Gogo (grandma) support group at Nomvulu's house.  Nomvulu is an amazing woman who works at RivLife as the cook for the drop in center, but she also has her own creche in her home, runs the Gogo support group, and has a soup kitchen at her house for kids in the community. And she is HIV+. She does so much for her community and is really inspiring! She also made Zulu bread for us which was delicious! 


This past week we also finished our project in the creche. We deep cleaned the whole place (which was desperately needed), washed the sheets, replaced the mattresses, and painted a big chalkboard on the wall with a verse above it- Colossians 3:14 "Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony". It has been great to see the progress and the creche has really transformed! 


This whole experience has really changed me and opened my eyes and my heart to many different things. The time has flown by and I can't believe it is over.  Now we have to say goodbye to African Enterprise and Pietermaritzburg too as we leave for Cape Town this weekend. Only 4 more weeks of the semester!! I am going to miss South Africa so much!! <3 



1 comment:

  1. What an amazing experience to read about, Emmy. I know how you feel--goodbyes are the worst, but it's clear Jesus has made a significant impact on these people through you. And even more than that, He's expanded your heart! I know that can hurt sometimes, especially with goodbyes, but it is such a precious gift. :) I am so glad to be hearing about all the ways God is moving down in S.A.!! SO happy and excited for you. <3

    Ann

    ReplyDelete