Thursday, April 26, 2012

More Cape Town Adventures

My time is Cape Town has been so amazing and packed full of activities! This past Sunday some friends and I went into the city to go to a dutch reform church where the former Archbishop Desmond Tutu was supposed to speak because we knew this was a one in a lifetime opportunity.  We thought we would not make it in because we were running a little late and we were sure the church would be packed.  But to our surprise we got to the church about 10 minutes before the service started and the church was only about half full. The setting was a little more formal than we are all used to as we struggled to open the pew doors and find a seat, but we finally made it! I'm sure the message was great, but unfortunately is was all in Afrikaans so we didn't understand a word of it, but it was still really cool! And afterwards we actually got to meet him and get a picture with him which was so crazy! If you don't know much about Desmond Tutu, you definitely should do some research because he is an amazing man with a really cool story, but basically, he played a pivotal role in ending the Apartheid. And now he is considered the "moral conscious" of South Africa. I still cannot believe that I got to meet him!! It would kind of be like meeting Martin Luther King Jr. in America.


On Tuesday we had a tour of the peninsula where we went out on a boat to seal island, drove around the gorgeous coast, saw penguins at Boulder's Beach, and went to the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point (the most south-western point and the the most south-eastern point of Africa). It was so beautiful and a really relaxing day.  On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays we have classes in the morning and then we have the afternoons free. This week after school I have visited Muizenberg and Simon's Town, two beach towns close by. 


Coming up soon is shark cage diving this saturday!! I am soo excited!! I have been watching many youtube videos to get pumped up! Hopefully after this I won't be too scared to swim in the ocean! And then we have our last few days of orientation for re-entry into the states! AHHH!!! I am still staying an extra week longer but I cannot believe this whole thing is coming to an end!  I don't want to leave this amazing country but I am excited to see everyone from home again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment