Sunday, March 25, 2012

God I Look to You

This week we continued service sites! I am loving it more and more each day if that is possible :) I don't even know how to summarize this past week so here is a little taste of what has been going on. 
  • At the HIV/AIDS support group we did crafts with them! We made jewelry, friendship bracelets, and some of them sewed and knitted. 
  • On Wednesday we got to visit the Drakensberg Boy's Choir. It is the #1 children's choir in the world! They were amazing and I am so glad I got to experience that. We also had a huge lightening and thunder storm that night!  It was the craziest lightening I have ever seen! Sometimes it would light up the whole sky pink or green. 
  • One of the girls at the creche has open sores all over her body.  It is so sad because her mom won't take her to the clinic, she will only take her to the sangoma (Zulu medicine man) and that is obviously not working. 
  • There is a boy at the creche, who we have given the nickname of Chunks. His is so cute and chubby and he seriously has the same facial expression all day, so we work really hard to try and make him smile :)
  • The nurses came to our site to do their community project.  They taught the kids how to wash their hands properly and how to brush their teeth. 
  • Another little girl at the creche is so precious and once you get her singing a song she never stops! It is so cute!
  • When we brought our cameras the kids LOVED it and they run up to you shouting "shoot me! shoot me!" haha 
  • Friday was our last day working at the creche because the kids have 2 weeks off of school now for easter break. It was very bittersweet. We had a great day with the kids, but it was so hard saying goodbye :(
It is crazy that we only have 2 more weeks of service sites. I feel like so much has happened in such a short time already. These kids and the women we work with are so inspiring.  Many times when I am playing with the kids I forget where they come from and what they deal with everyday- parents with HIV/AIDS, abusive parents, absent parents, having HIV/AIDS themselves, living in a small mud house, or getting only one meal a day. All I can give to them is my love, but there are times when even that doesn't feel like enough. I know this experience is going to be challenging- physically, mentally, and spiritually. Please keep me and my team in your prayers. We need strength and wisdom to get through these next few weeks. And personally for me, I am needing to constantly remind myself that it is not through my hands and my power that this work is being accomplished, but it is God working through me. 

Some song lyrics that have been on my heart lately and my prayer for the next 2 weeks:

God I look to you, I won't be overwhelmed
Give me vision to see things like you do
God I look to you, You're where my help comes from
Give me wisdom; You know just what to do. 
_____________________________________

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me you heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see





No comments:

Post a Comment