Sunday, March 18, 2012

RivLife!

This past Thursday we started Service Sites! I am at RivLife which is located in the township of Cinderella. Their main focus is with the HIV/AIDS community and those affect by that (like children).  When we got there we split up into smaller groups to do different tasks.  My group first went to an HIV/AIDS support group at a community center nearby (the community center looked more like an abandoned house than anything else).  We met with 7 other women, varying in ages, that have been diagnosed as HIV+.  From the outside, they do not look sick at all, and some of them have been HIV+ for over 9 years. And their attitudes do not reflect this either- they are full of life and joy.


We all introduced ourselves and got to know a little bit about everyone.  Then we asked them a few questions about what it is like to be HIV+ and what is the hardest part about it.  One woman said it was really hard in the community because a lot of people do not believe she is HIV+ because she looks so healthy.  For a long time the government of SA denied that AIDS even existed. It was kept in secret for awhile and people were ashamed of it and would often leave their towns to go get tested.  It is becoming more and more acceptable now, but there are still many problems. For example, the sangomas (witch doctors/medicine mans) use to tell everyone that the cure for AIDS was having sex with a virgin.  This obviously made the problem worse. And eventually the lie spread that one had to have sex with an infant to cure their disease.  It is a very sad truth and shows the ignorance of this disease in SA, which has the highest population of people with HIV/AIDS than any other country.  Also, many of the men refuse to get tested. Now, one of the biggest problems is Sugar Daddies. Poverty is so horrible and devastating that young women will trade sex for a man to provide her with food and clothing.  It is so hard to hear these things and even harder to actually see the women who are affected by this. But I can see how helpful this support group is for these women- it is a safe place where they can be encouraged by others who are going through similar things as them.


The women in the group then started to ask us some questions too. The one that stood out the most to me was when a woman asked us if we were afraid of them.  This made my heart break because this is how they see themselves- diseased and untouchable- but all we want to do is love on them! So we all got up and hugged them! It was a touching moment. For the rest of the time there we sang songs and danced, and they showed us some of the crafts they do.  I loved my time we spent with them!


After lunch we went back to the main site and worked at the creche- the daycare. The kids are so adorable! But by the end of the day I was covered in dirt, snot, and pee. We play with them out on the lawn and playground and when the kids have to go to the bathroom they literally just drop their pants right there and go! It is definitely not something I am used to!


Near the end of the day we go to the dropping center across the road which is where the older kids come to hang out after school. It was fun to hang out and converse with them.  They were a little shy the first day but the second day we played net ball with them which was a blast! It is like ultimate frisbee but with basketball. And when we left the second day they were all giving us tons of hugs! It was great :) I really love working at my service site and I think it is the perfect fit for me! As Reg said before, I probably won't change SA while I am here, but SA will definitely change me.


Yesterday (Sat) we had a beach day at Durban! We went to the market first and then headed to the beach.  It was a really windy day and the waves were HUGE but I still enjoyed it very much! I think they were the biggest waves I have ever been in- it was kind of scary but exciting at the same time. Then in the evening we went to a rugby game!! That was so much fun!! The Sharks were playing (Durban's team) against the Reds (I have no clue where they are from).  I didn't really understand the game before but it is INTENSE and hilarious at times.  And they don't wear any pads or helmets! I highly recommend watching a game if you get the chance! It is really cool!!




2 comments:

  1. Emily,

    I am glad your service site is a good fit, even if it is heart breaking at times. That beach looks amazing and no people. What’s the water temperature like (warm, cold)?

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete