Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Service Site and Movie Night!

Today I got to skype with my parents bright in early in the morning :) I only had a little bit of time because we were headed off to our first service site.  Part of the program for the semester is that we do community service for one month at a service site.  There are a total of 4 service sites that we can choose from and for the next few weeks we will be visiting them to help make our decision where we want to work. 


Today we visited Walk in the Light (Hamba Ekukanyeni) which is a really cool organization run by Bruce Taylor.  They work in the township of Haniville, which has a population of 10,000 and an estimated 60% of the people are infected with HIV/AIDS. We got to hear about their plans for the community and what they have accomplished. They help feed the families, do construction work, make home visits, send people to clinics, and they are planning on building a pre-school for the kids.  It was cool to see all the plans they had and we prayed over Bruce and the ministry that God would provide to help raise money to build the school and resource center. 


Another highlight of the day was that we went to the movies!! And the best part is that they have discount Tuesdays! The tickets were only 20 Rand- which is just a little over 2 dollars! We saw 'We Bought A Zoo' and it was so good! There were only 7 of us that went and it was nice to be in a smaller group for once and have things a bit calmer :) The best part was that on the way back Leizel and I rocked out to Fergie in the back seat! She is just the cutest! 


There is always so much fun activities to do here! And I always want to say yes to everything because I don't want to miss out on anything! This makes it really hard to find time to do homework haha I feel like I have already adopted the laid back lifestyle of Africa. Usually I am so organized and plan everything ahead and never procrastinate.  But now I don't even know what I am going to be doing until the day of, and I really like the feeling :) Freedom. But the inner super organized, have-to-get-stuff-done-immediately part of me is freaking out a little... But hey, TIA. 





No comments:

Post a Comment