Sunday, February 12, 2012

Midnight Adventures and the Drakensberg Mountains



These past two days have been so spectacular! On Friday, Baba Phillip took about 15 people to the Bisley Valley Nature Reserve while everyone else was in class. We finally found an giraffe after a long time looking for them! Where could they possibly hide?? It was so beautiful and way cooler than seeing one in a zoo. Just us and the giraffe. We were able to  get really close and it just stood there (until it tried to kick one guy in our group!). But overall it was very peaceful :)


There is a huge Hunger Games craze going around our campus right now! I think at least half of our cohort is reading them! It's so much fun :) I read them over break with some friends. Our volleyball tournament was even Hunger Game themed with each team being from a certain district. Hopefully we will be able to see the movie together when it comes out this spring!


Then that night, after I had showered and gotten into bed, I heard some people talking outside my room and got up to see what was going on.  What else but a midnight slip and slide party?! I think yes! TIA!  So we went out and set it up in the dark and went for it! It was so much fun! Then we washed off in the waterfall and got some sleep before our field trip the next day.

Our trip was to the famous Drakensberg Mountains which are about 2 hours away from AE.  If I were to go anywhere in the world I would go there again! Everyone has to come here and see its beauty! I can't fully explain what it was like because I don't think that it would do it justice (not even my pictures do). But it was breathtaking, majestic, and completely surreal.  I am pretty sure they lied about filming Lord of the Rings in New Zealand, and it was actually filmed here :) I think every 2 minutes I was saying "Oh my gosh...Oh my gosh...Oh my...".  It was hard to take it all in.  I was so high on life! We got to see bushman cave paintings too which was really cool! I remember learning about similar paintings in Art History and it was neat to actually see them in person. On the way back down we got to play in the river too! So amazing! I am loving my time here and just soaking it all up!! :) 








1 comment:

  1. Wow, wow, wow! It looks amazing Emily. I'm so glad you get to experience such amazing beauty that God has created. And thank you for NOT being the one that almost got kicked by the giraffe. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete