Monday, February 20, 2012

Sangoma and the Battlefields

Sorry it has been so long since I have blogged! I have been really busy with school lately and everything else. Here are some highlights of the past week!

  • For my Luke/Acts class we visited a Sangoma, which is a tradition medicine man/witch doctor.  It was really interesting. He had lots of mixed herbs and other concoctions that he claims can heal certain illness or problems.  One was used to make your special someone love you more if you mix an herb with some of your blood and urine and then put it in their food.... interesting. He also works in the spiritual realm and acts as a mediator to the ancestors.  He said he gets about 50 customers a week.  I am glad I was able to witness a part of traditional African religion.
  • For Valentine's Day we had lots of activites planned. We were all paired up with a date for the day and we had a themed dinner: Would you love me if I wore this? There were some ridiculous outfits! 
  • Ladies Night at Circus Circus!! For dessert I got Malva Pudding, which is so delicious! I can't wait to try and make it at home! It is like a dense spongey cake with a butterscotch sauce on top! 
  • I am loving my D-group! The girls are so amazing! We just finished all of our life stories and it is great to know all of them on a deeper level. The community here has been wonderful :)
  • This weekend we went away for 2 days to go visit battlefields. It was a lot less boring than I thought it would be :) Most of the information we have already learned in history class, so it was cool to be at the actual sites where it all happened.  The best part of the weekend was the lodge we stayed at in a town called Dundee! They had the best food and the rooms were really nice too! We had lots of bonding time, playing games and watching a movie :) Not to mention the 4 hour car drive there and back! 
This week I am looking forward to finding out my service site, and then going to Lesotho with my Human Growth class! And only 2 more weeks of these courses! Yayy! 

Send me your love! I would love to hear from everyone and how they are doing back in the states! 

No comments:

Post a Comment