Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The More I Seek You

Time has been going by so fast here! I can't believe it has already been 5 weeks! Finals are coming up for me now too! So scary! But then we will be going on our safari and then service sites! I can't wait! We should find out soon where we are placed. 


Today I went out to lunch with my friends Yvette, Kate, and Leizel to a Thai food place.  It was delicious! Everyone is kind of getting sick of the food here so it's nice to eat out every once in awhile.  On campus, during every meal they serve meat... and lots of it.  Even at lunch we get a hot meal. I think at least five times (or more) a day we all talk about food and what we miss, which only makes us miss it more. It's not good. haha If you could please send me a bean and cheese burrito, that would be great! haha


Tonight we had a farewell party for one of the interns who works here, Ryno. He is around our age and always hangs out with us so it will be sad to see him leave. We had a Braai for dinner, which is an Afrikaans traditional barbecue.  It was a lot of fun! Not to mention our second class of the night was cancelled because of it!


I have also been learning how to play the ukelele! My friend and chalet-mate Yui is teaching me! I caught on quicker than I thought I would (as I am musically challenged in every other area of my life). I am really enjoying it and I hope I get better by the end of the semester! 


For my bible class we are now going over the Book of Acts. (Which is ironic because my mom is also going through Acts this spring with BSF). I am reading a commentary on the book that outlines the main themes of Acts. It has been really interesting and I think fits into what I have been experiencing here in South Africa. My eyes have definitely been open to different worship styles and the different ways God works in peoples lives.  It has been refreshing to see and I have learned so much form just witnessing other people worship God. I feel like our churches, especially in the western culture, are growing farther and farther apart from what the early church looked like. Even our lifestyles are radically different. It totally pumps me up and challenges me to have my life rooted in scripture and keep an open mind.  And to bring back to the states what I have seen here. I am also reading a book called 
The Irresistable Revolution: Living Life as an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne. Reg recommended it to us and although I am only part way through I love it! It is a must read!! Shane has an amazing life story and a lot of wisdom to share.  He also references the early church in Acts a lot (ironic?? Maybe God is trying to tell me something). But I do have to warn you that it is really challenging and it will change you. So if you are content living a comfortable life, this book might shake your world a little bit.  It has mine.  Some of my favorite quotes so far: 

"When did we stop living Christianity and just start studying it"

"People do not get crucified for charity.  People are crucified for living out a love that disrupts the social order, that calls forth a new world"

"When I fed the hungry they called me a saint. When I asked why people are hungry, they called me a communist"

"Don't let the world steal your soul. Being a Christian is about choosing Jesus and deciding to do something incredibly daring with your life"

I can't wait to finish reading this book in my spare time! 

Here are some lyrics of a song we sang in chapel the other day too. I just love the imagery :) I can't get it out of my head. 


The more I seek you,
the more I find you.

The more I find you, 
the more I love you

I wanna sit at your feet
drink from the cup in your hand.
Lay back against you and breath, 
hear your heart beat

This love is so deep, 
it's more than I can stand.
I melt in your peace, it's overwhelming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment