Friday, February 3, 2012

Miracles

Yesterday I had another Luke/Acts class with Reg and it was so good! We sped pretty fast through the first 19 chapters of Luke but I got so much insight on the passages. We started talking about miracles in our current times because Luke is chalk full of them. We asked "Why don't we seen miracles as often now?" The answer is simple. We have stopped expecting them. Now we rely so much on science and medical breakthroughs to solve all of our problems, but the truth is they can't fix everything. Reg told us of a few stories where he has directly seen miracles happen here in South Africa- the blind able to see again and the dying coming back to health.  Why can't we have that faith? The faith that God can do the impossible? I find that, at least for myself, I put God in my own box. I keep Him in the box of possible things, earthly things, and small prayers.  I need to learn to pray BIG.  Because nothing is to big for God. It reminds me of when Joshua was in battle and he prayed for the sun and moon to stop so he could have more daylight to finish.  And God answered that prayer! That just astounds me. I no longer want to keep God in my box.  I want to pray for MIRACLES.


After lunch that day we rolled out the big slip and slide! It was probably 50 ft. long! We laid out the tarp on the huge grass hill in front of the dining hall. It was so much fun! And luckily no injuries! At least no major ones :) We all woke up today very sore. 


That night we went out for dinner because it was all you can eat pizza at a restaurant in the mall! (As you have probably noticed, South Africa restaurants have lots of "special deal" nights, there is even one where women eat half off!).  Off course, the boys took this opportunity to have a food contest. The winner had 20 pieces! 


And, to not freak out my mom too much, I am working on homework :)  I have an exegetical paper due on Monday for my Luke/Acts class.  I picked the passage Luke 6:27-36 about loving your enemies.  I have really enjoyed writing the paper and reading commentaries on this scripture.  It has so much good content!


Tomorrow we are going to uShaka in Durban! It is like a mix of a water park, Sea World, and an aquarium.  I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing about all these things you're learning, Emmy! I love Luke because it has my favorite Bible story, Woman with the Alabaster Jar! I hope you love studying it and the rest of Luke/Acts!
    -atp

    ReplyDelete