Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Is this real life??

This sunday I went to a different Church with Baba Phillip, his wife, and four other girls. It was called North Hills Church. I really liked it and felt like the church was a family, sharing with each other what is happening in their lives.  It was pretty small and had a higher white South African population then the previous church I went to. After church we all hung out and they gave us food (and tea, of course)! They had samosas, which are stuffed fried snacks. There are different variations- spicy meat, corn and cheese, etc.  It was delicious! We stayed after awhile and talked with some of the regular attenders that were about our age.  They seemed really cool and wanted to hang out with us and do events with us too.


That evening we had a dance part for Enoch's birthday! It was so much fun!


Then Monday came with it's delightful 95 degree whether :/ It was hot! But some people got to take a break from bio class and swim in the water fall.  I tried to stay in the shade most of the day and was able to do my homework outside on the big, beautiful lawn :) 


I had my first D-group that night with some of the girls on my team. Two of the nursing students are leading us.  It was really good and I am so excited to get to know people better on build deeper relationships!  It has been so hard because we are such a big group, so it will be nice to big in a smaller group and closer setting.


Today was a beautiful day! And really relaxing! We went to another service site today called Ethembeni.  They work mostly with HIV/AIDS patients and families affected by that.  Our students will be working at their family life center and playing with and taking care of kids that need somewhere to stay during the day.  It will be so hard to decide which service site to work at, but we still have two more to see!


When we got back I went on an adventure with Yui, Krista, and Michael! We walked through the game reserve, but no zebra sightings :(  It was still a lot of fun though! Afterwards we were really hot and decided to go over to the rock pool to cool down! I wasn't sure if I wanted to get all the way wet, as I only I have one more pair of clean clothes left, but THIS IS AFRICA! So, I got in :) We slid down the little rock slide and dipped our heads under the mini waterfall. We also headed over to the big waterfall by my chalet! It looks a lot taller standing directly under it!


I seriously don't know I will get any homework done here... But, I absolutely love it! Who gets to just randomly go jump in a waterfall before class??  Its great to finally slow down for once and enjoy every moment! It is amazing to wake up and see God's beautiful creation everyday, and be able to soak it all up :) I feel so blessed to be here! On our walk today we were talking about how beautiful the scenery was, and that we never want to come to a point where we are not in total awe of the beauty and take it for granted.  Michael said, "If I ever come to feel that way, then I don't deserve to be here".  My hope and prayer is that during the next few months I never forget that every day here is a gift from God :) 

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your adventures. You are such a good writer and funny too. I laughed soo hard when you said well "this is africa" i enjoy your reasoning. so do they not have washer and dryers? I hope you get to wash your clothes soon :) Love you and miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss M,

    I love reading about your experiences. I don’t know if you remember, but the first church we attended regularly in San Diego was called North Hills Church.

    Love you and miss you. Dad

    ReplyDelete