Monday, January 23, 2012

Zebras!!

Today I woke up really early to go on a morning walk in the game reserve next door with some girls. At 6 in the morning! But it was all worth it because 5 minutes into the walk we saw a zebra! It was so beautiful! It is a lot different than seeing one in a zoo! I was only about 15 or 20 feet away just free roaming :) We all stopped, watched it and took pictures, and then the zebra started to walk towards us! It was cool at first but then it was kind of scary! It got so close, probably 7 or so feet away. Of course, our CLC Leizel starts to run away leaving us in the dust! But as we walked away slowly it eventually stopped following us :)


We had our first classes today! Starting out with History and Culture of SA with Reg. And then I had Human Growth and Development later on in the night. 


Mall run!! Leizel and Reagan took a group to the mall for a couple of hours. It looks exactly like the malls in America, just different stores :) I stopped at the Mug and Bean (South Africa's version of Starbs) and I got an iced coffee. But, an iced coffee in SA is not just coffee and ice. It's coffee blended with ice cream!! So delicious! Most of us shopped at Mr. Price, which has cute and cheap clothes. 


My Human Growth class seems like it will be really laid back :) My professor brought his dog in today! It was so cute and likes to give lots of kisses! Reminds me of someone back home.... ;) And we get to go on a horseback riding field trip! Either in Lesotho or in the Drakensberg mountains! I can't wait! 


Tomorrow we are going to visit our first service site. We visit four total and then we will decide which one we want to work at for a month. It should be an eye-opeing experience! 


P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUSTIN!!!! I LOVE YOU!! 













4 comments:

  1. Oh the zeh-brahz! How lucky, emily!! :) Sounds like you are having a blast and enjoying your time there! so glad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zebras!! how exciting I would love that at a distance, you know me and animals haha How are you getting any school work done? it would be so hard to stay focused with so much to see! I am trying to catch up thus all the comments oh and a shout out to Austin Happy Late bday I love you too!! haha seriously i do :) miss and love you Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Davita! Thank you for all of the comments, love, and prayer! The tea is not very strong in my opinion. It's called Rooibos :) It is very hard to get work done here! so many distracting things! But i try to find some time during the day to sit out and do homework

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that zebra wanted some food...haha

    ReplyDelete