Saturday, January 21, 2012

Joburg and Soweto

Today we had our first field trip for our history and culture of South Africa class!!! We traveled around Joburg and Soweto. The wether was beautiful! Just like summer in San DIego :)

We started at the Apartheid museum.  We were all issued tickets that were labeled either white or non white and had to enter through different ways and go through different routes so that we could more fully understand the rigid segregation.  The museum was so cool! We only stayed there about 2 1/2 hours but I could have stayed there all day! There was so much information! There was also an exhibition for Nelson Mandela.  It was great to learn so much about the history of the apartheid and to see the reconciliation and redemption this country has recently experienced.  I loved it! One of my favorite quotes that I read while in the museum was this: 

"I quickly realized that I had to make my way on the basis of my ability, not my heritage" -Nelson Mandela

Also, "I can't help it if the ladies take note of me; I am not going to protest" haha

Basically he is one of the coolest people ever! Reg was saying how Nelson was probably the only person that cold have helped end the apartheid without initiating a civil war in South Africa.  How cool is that??  The forgiveness that he and the whole whole country demonstrated was just amazing! 

Then we headed into the city of Soweto. Soweto was the biggest township in South Africa during the apartheid. They named it Soweto because it is the South Western Township.  They make a joke because a cab driver will ask you "So where to?". But in a South African accent it sounds like "So-we-to". And then the passenger says, "Soweto!" hahaha  

Anyways, as we were driving around it was interesting to see the neighborhoods and communities.  It ranges a lot and is very diverse. One minute you will see slums with houses made out of tin and then on the next street their will be nicer townhouses.  There were also a lot of BMWs driving around and our tour guide says it stands for "Black Man's WIsh" hehe 

For lunch we went to a restaurant located inside someone's house.  The food was delicious! We had mashed potatoes, fish, salad, bread, sausage, and so much more.  We also had some ice cream for dessert which was way better than any ice cream I have ever had! It was so creamy and sweet!  We also go to play with the little kids that were hanging out near the house! They were so adorable! 

Then we headed to a memorial for youth who had lost their lives while peacefully marching and pretesting.  The youngest one was 13 years old, named Hector Peterson.  Across the street we went to some markets and vendors. The people here are so nice and welcoming! And, they have the BEST handshake ever!! I will have to teach it to y'all when I get home!  We also got to see Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela's previous homes.  And on our way back to our hotel we stopped by the the FIFA 2010 World Cup Stadium!!! aahhhhh!! yes, be jealous Austin :) But it was a bummer we didn't get to go inside! 

At night some of us played an EPIC game of dictionary telephone! There were 15 of us! It was so funny! 

So far my experience here has been amazing :) I love the culture and people of South Africa! I have been meeting more people on my team and it has been great getting to know everyone! I can't wait for what God has in store for the rest of the semester!

I will get pictures up as soon as possible! The hotel we are in right now has limited internet use.  But I will be uploading them to facebook soon!  


2 comments:

  1. "Whoever loves and is born of love knows God." 1 John 4:7 makes me think of Mandela. I LOL'ed at that comment about the laydeez. :) A leader with some sass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im getting one fact loud and clear they have GREAT ice cream :) I have also decided you are an excellent blogger I love reading about your adventures its like I am there with you. I love learning thru your eyes. Keep up the good work I can't wait to learn that handshake.
    Lots of love

    ReplyDelete