Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Last Day Before Departure!

AHHH!! This is my last day in America for almost four months!

Today was very long! It started at 8:30 AM with a pre-departure meeting. We went over basic issues and questions about traveling and South Africa.  We also had the pleasure of hearing from a guest who works with World Vision setting up service sites around the world.  She told us about one of our professors, Francis Njoroge, who she has worked with and who will be teaching the class Principles and Practices of Community Engagement. Apparently he is a legend in Africa and around the world!! He sets up services sites all over and his projects have the most successful outcomes. He has done such great work for so many people, and I get to sit in a class with him and soak up all his wisdom! I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to learn from all the amazing professors in South Africa! During our meeting we also created a mission statement for our whole team for the semester. We have a lot to live out!

Then, in the afternoon my parents came up to APU for our commissioning service! Some friends came also to see me off! We had worship and then Matt Browning, the associate vice president for internationalization a.k.a the most amazing and motivating person at APU, spoke in the beginning.  He talked about how much this experience is going to change us and he hopes that when we come back we will be ruined for the ordinary. I love that phrase- Ruined for the Ordinary.  It excites me and scares me so much at the same time! We then prayed with our family and friends and the campus pastor Woody prayed a prayer of commission over us.

My parents took me out to dinner after! Our last dinner together :( It was great but then we had to say our goodbyes! I will miss you mom and dad!! Don't worry too much ;)

I got to go out for fro-yo with my lab group from last semester to catch up and say goodbye to them! Reunion!! I love you all!

Now I just have to stay up until 3 AM for the bus to go to the airport!! Luckily I have amazing friends who will keep me company all night long ;)

The next few days will be lots of traveling! But then I will be in AFRICA!

Thank you everyone for all your support and love!

1 comment:

  1. Ruined for the ordinary--that is awesome :) Can't wait to see the ruination process unfold <3

    -atp

    ReplyDelete